Date:
Mon, 3 Feb 2014 16:47:59 -0500
Tom,

It is a very low incidence in sighted people.
I actually heard about some studies in this area as part of my Human
Resources job in the mid 1990s.  I worked with a consultant that specialized
in optimizing schedules for continuous/rotating shiftworkers as is set up in
many manufacturing plants as well as the utility company I worked for.  Some
shiftworkers who work a lot of night shifts and are only exposed to
artificial light exhibit some of the same characteristics, but to a somewhat
lesser extent.

The consultant didn't know that I was blind.  When he met me, he asked if I
had any issues with sleeping?  I think my jaw dropped.  His company was
based out of Boston, and he said he was aware of some research at Harvard
involving sleep issues faced by the blind.  Again, this was in circa
1996-97.

By the way, I've been fighting the sleep-wake issue for years, and almost
lost a previous job over thirty years ago because I fell asleep in a
meeting.  I can most definitely assure you it is not a contrived phenomenon
for those of us who experience it in its more extreme cases.

Steve, K8SP