From:
"Mike Duke, K5XU" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Duke, K5XU
Date:
Mon, 13 Jan 2014 19:46:49 -0600
I can't address how the Baofeng behaves, but here is my
experience with the Wouxun.

In the 4 and a half years I have had my Wouxun, I have taken
it to Phoenix, Reno, Minneapolis, Las Vegas, and Houston,
all with no problems, even when connected to a J pole, or to
a dual band mobile antenna.

The Wouxuns are commercial type accepted rigs, and the
receiver in mine is hotter than the receiver in my THF6A.
Part of the reason for that, of course, is due to the fact
that the Wouxun is not a DC to Daylight receiver.

Another good reason to travel with one of the Chinese rigs
is they are cheap enough that you don't get nearly as mad if
one of them runs away and doesn't come back home with you vs
the cost of the Kenwood THF6, etc.

Your mileage may vary, but if it varies too much for your
liking, just offer it to somebody who lives in the RF
desert, if there is any such place left these days.