From:
Steve Dresser <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Dec 2013 22:52:32 -0500
Tom,

You can kill the update by shutting down Winamp in the Task Manager.  To run
the Task Manager, press Ctrl-Shift-Esc.  When the Task Manager starts, make
sure you're in the Applications Tab (which you probably will be if you've
never run the Task Manager before).  If you're not, just keep pressing
Ctrl-Tab until you hear "Applications Tab".  Arrow down through the list of
running applications until you get to Winamp, and tab until you hear "End
Process".  Press the spacebar, and you're done.  Note that you won't get any
feedback that anything has changed, and you'll still be on the "End Task"
button.  Don't worry, though, Winamp will be gone.  At this point, you can
exit from the Task Manager by pressing Alt-F4.

Unfortunately, this problem has plagued Winamp for quite a while.  I usually
fix it by updating to the latest version, which is probably a really good
idea in this case because the latest version is also the last version.

Steve