From:
Medresearch <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Medresearch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Nov 2013 17:22:12 -0500

Greetings,
I got several helpful replies and here is a synopsis.

Restaurants:

Brevard, NC area --

The Hobnob, & Marco Trattoria in Brevard are good, but do not have
gluten free bread.
Mayberrys has gluten free items on their menu.
Amore's in Lake Toxaway usually has gluten free sandwiches. Cashiers has
a new resturant,Randevu that I have been to.
Cornucopia is also good.
The Square Root has many gluten free offerings
The Phoenix is recommended on UrbanSpoon
Call first since some restaurants close out of season.

In Asheville --
Posana's Gluten Free Restaurant, www.posanacafe.com (3 recommendations)
Green Sage, employees are very gluten free and cross-contamination
knowledgeable
Trader Joe's
Western North Carolina Farmers Market for fresh produce
Whole Foods grocery in Asheville one block from I-240 N.

Hendersonville--
I have heard good things about "Tupelo Honey"
My Gluten Free Bread Company is a dedicated gluten free bakery

Grocery Stores (Brevard) --
Food Matters Market is a local & health food market with gluten free
items and gluten free bread for sandwiches.
Ingles Market carries several gluten free groceries and free WIFI.

An alternate recommendation -- to bring a small microwave, micro dishes
and a cooler to be to eat out of a grocery store.  We have done this in
the past and usually carry an electric skillet, an electric multicooker
to boil vegetables and utencils which worked well when there is time to
cook.  Many motels now have small refrigerators available but the
temperatures can vary greatly, so I take my refrigerator thermometer
with me if I am planning a long stay.

---------------------------------------
Because it was a quick 3-day weekend, we arrived late on Friday and
left  on Monday, I had limited time.

I found Food Matters Market helpful to get some staple and snack items.
The deli closed at 5pm in the winter so I missed that. I also got a
frozen gf pizza to cook in t room :)

I had some nice meals from Ingles Market -- rotisserie chicken where I
verified the ingredients, salad bar, and bought and opened some canned
goods.  They also had free WIFI which helped because the only hotel I
could find room (Sunset Motel) did not have internet in the back half of
the property.

I also ate at Sagebrush Steakhouse in Brevard.
www.sagebrushsteakhouse.com.  They were were knowledgeable about gluten
free and I had a nice steak, baked sweet potato with butter and nice
salad no croutons for a reasonable price.

When we go down in December, I plan to try some other places. Thank you
to everyone for your help.
Paula in PA