From:
Date:
Fri, 22 Nov 2013 15:47:54 -0600
Tom, the Jetstream JTM3BM is about 43" from top to bottom including the
mag-mount base. It is a 1/2 wave on 2 m and two 5/8 waves on 440. However,
if your other mag-mounts didn't work, I doubt if this one would; though,
admittedly, it out-performs my other two mag-mount antennas. Jetstream sells
one that is even better than the one I have in terms of the gain. The only
reason why I didn't purchase the other one is because it has more coils in
the whip and presents slightly more wind load, and I was afraid it might
come off the top of the van when we were traveling at high speeds on the
interstate. Here is the information on the other one I almost purchased that
has slightly better gain figures:

JETSTREAM JT7505BM
Dual band (2m/70 cm) mobile antenna with mag-mount
3.5/6.0 DB gain -- R & L price: $49.95

As you can see, it has 3.5 db gain on 2 m compared to 3 db for the one I
purchased and 6.0 db on 440 compared to 5.5 for the one I purchased. For my
purposes, I felt the lower wind load out-weighed the slightly higher gain.
So, I purchased the JTM3BM. There is a difference of $10 in the price, but
that was not a factor at all in my decision. For you, if you want every
possible db gain you can get, the JT7505BM might be a better choice for you.
It is also slightly longer, by about 1 or two inches, I believe, in case
that is a consideration.

My suspicion is that you are just in a very poor place with too many
obstacles that are blocking and/or shielding your signal from getting out.
Evidently, you don't have a window that you can open, right? If you did, you
could jury-rigged something that would work.

Ron, K8HSY