From:
Steve Forst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Nov 2013 21:03:52 -0500
John,

I'm not a big digital guy, and limit myself to RTTY using MMTTY (free
download).   JAWS will spit out the incoming text in alpha numeric form,
so  not easy to do a  long rag chew unless you are a good speller,but
just fine for contests or chasing DX.  You can also monkey with the JAWS
cursor to get lines of text.    To tune: just tune slowly across the
signal until JAWS  starts to give good copy.   Other screen readers  may
do better (or worse).

For PSK, look at Digipan (free download).  You will need to use the JAWS
cursor to  get incoming text to read without repeating itself.  There is
a menu item "use arrows for seek" (or some such), that when checked,
will let you use the arrow keys on the keyboard to jump to the next
signal up or down the band.

  If you have an old Win 98 pc laying around, there is a self voicing
PSK program for  the blind called Digitalk.  It won't work on later
versions of windows.

There are a few articles on digital mode operation with screen readers  at:

hamradioandvision.com

Good luck.   I haven't done much RTTY in the past year, but I do have
over 100 countries in the log, so it can be done if you are willing to
put a little time into it and  are willing to except the fact that
everything isn't always going to work perfect.

73, Steve KW3A