From:
Harvey Heagy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 May 2013 21:20:19 -0500
But isn't it interesting that one of the broadcaster's main arguments
against mandated descriptive programming was that since digital TV was
coming, why should they reinvent the wheel when in a few years they'd have
the carriers to do both foreign language programming and described
programming?  Well, guess what happened.  Now that digital TV is here, new
networks have sprung up to occupy the subcarrier digital channels and we
have no more described programming than we had before.  I like some of those
networks, but the point is that we didn't get what we were promised.

In 1971 when the FCC cut back on primetime network programming to created
additional time for more news and public affairs programming, all that did
was create a market for syndicated programming.  So we've been lied to time
and time again.
Harvey