From:
Diana Day <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Diana Day <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Oct 2014 14:19:33 -0400

Hi, everyone;

Here is a summary of the reponses I received from this article in the New
Yorker:

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2014/11/03/grain?utm_source=tny

I'm glad Jennifer Iscol of the Celiac Community Foundation of Northern
California is posting on Facebook about it.

~~~~~~~~~~

Here is what some members of our list wrote:

Thanks for sharing this...I've been a subscriber to the New Yorker for 50
years...it has always been such a fine magazine, but this is so
discouraging.

a Gluten Free Anti Defamation League:

Sounds like it.

We are not helped by people like my sister in law who announced she was
trying to be gluten free.  Within a few minutes she asked the waitress to
bring more rolls.

 He probably knows similar people.

Thanks for your email about this article.  I read the whole thing (oh my it
was long!) and came away with a different thought than you did-- much of the
article seemed to be well researched and accurate and sensitive to the
increase in celiac.  I thought he provided some interesting information
about gluten intolerance and the possibility that it might be related to or
similar to fructose intolerance.  It's true that at the end of the article
he says it would be silly for him to give up gluten, but he has no symptoms,
so I would agree with him that he has no need to give up gluten.  He doesn't
say that gluten intolerance is silly.

What will the next article be-slamming pre-diabetic persons for changing
their diet before they become full blown diabetics?

It seems to me it would be helpful to have some sort of Celiac quick
response group to counter misleading articles like the one in the New
Yorker.

This kind of writing does not help all of us who would like to eat safely in
restaurants without getting the rolled eyes treatment from the servers.

Diana