ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Doris and Chris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Dec 2010 19:35:33 -0500
Check

www.skype.com

for details.

Having a phone number that can be called from other landlines and
cell phones is called

skype-in.

What you need to be able to call landline or cell phones from skype is called

skype-out. There are two variants for this:

1. each call is paid for at a rate of 2 US cts per minute (I think)

or

2. there is a flatrate for unlimited calls though a "fair use" policy
applies for that that gives a certain number of minutes per month.
Check the above skype home page for current rates.

there also are hardware devices that can be used to recieve and make
skype calls. Accessibility of such varies and i have personally never
owned or used one.

I cannot advise on any other voip phone services. I know they are out
there and a google searrch might turn up alternatives.

There is a mailing list for blind users of Magic Jack but the MJ
accessibility problems are due to the MJ software having changed and
having become more graphical. If the subscription is still current, I
do not know why MJ would block calls. I do not know if ppl on the MJ
list would be able to help. Miss angel on this list has Magic
Jack,  too I think. So maybe she has some ideas or feedback.

hth

Doris