From:
"Jim Kutsch, KY2D" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Sep 2013 15:58:37 -0400
Hi Alan,
For now, yes, I always run QRP. I'm running the Elecraft KX3 barefoot. I
have the KXPA100 amp on order but they aren't shipping them yet. I'm not
really a QRP guy but having been a ham since 1967, it's an area of the hobby
I've never experienced until now.

Years ago, I ran high power with a Halicrafters HT37 and a home brew linear
that consisted of a pair of 813s in G2DAF configuration then later a Drake
T4Xb with a Heathkit SB200. Still later I had a Drake TR7 and L7. Then my
job necessitated a move and I lived 15  years in Jacksonville Florida in an
antenna restricted community and pretty much worked only 2 meters. The HF
gear was not getting any use and I sold it. I wish I still had the L7 but it
was the right decision at the time.

After starting to go to Dayton again 4 years ago, I got interested in SDR
and worked for a while on Jaws scripting to make the Flex 1500 more
accessible. I've been in Morristown, NJ for 8 years now but just got back on
HF last year with the KX3 and a Carolina Windham antenna. Most of what I've
been doing for the past several years is radio over IP. I ran an IRLP node
here for several years but recently converted it to AllStarLink. Although we
have a club station at The Seeing Eye with HF and VHF rigs, someday I'd like
to put a repeater on campus for hams coming to get dogs and have it linked
by AllStar for Seeing Eye grads and other blind hams to stay in touch. I'm
sort of starting by working it out at my home QTH.

73, Jim