BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Leland Torrence <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Leland Torrence <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Apr 1998 10:04:57 -0400
Good thoughts.  I would add that nothing can be "freeze framed" (except
Lenin).  The process is one of time warping.  I have a probelm with what I
call "materials preservation" vs preserving the whole - the building.  If
you scaffold a building for 25% of the budget for a project done every one
hundred years why preserve material that will only last another ten or
twenty?
Although not an architect, I concur that in many cases good additions and
adaptive re-uses often enhance the historic nature and architectural beauty
of the original and help to raise the awareness of the public on their
merrits.
No shooting at the feet please.

Leland