From:
"Mike Duke, K5XU" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Duke, K5XU
Date:
Sun, 2 Jun 2013 19:42:46 -0500
What made this 15 meter opening so unusual is that I heard
stations as close in as Birmingham consistently for at least
5 hours between about 3:00 and 8:00 PM. There was QSB, of
course, but signals would be as high as 20 over.

The last time I saw anything near that was on Memorial Day
in 2004 when I talked with a station in Shreveport on 29
MHZ. That short distance opening didn't last but a half hour
or so, which is usually how they work.

As expected, 6 meters was pretty hot during the same time.

I didn't hear them, but a small portion of east Texas
experienced what will most likely be determined to be triple
hop E skip into Japan on 6 meters. The Texas stations were
somewhere between Dallas and the Louisiana line. Stations in
Houston and along the gulf could not hear the JA stations,
and I have not heard from anyone outside that small area of
Texas who heard them.

Who says the magic is gone?

Mike Duke, K5XU