From:
Deborah Armstrong <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 3 Jun 2013 09:51:17 -0700
So I've decided one goal this summer is to increase my CW copying speed.

It's easy to find huge lists of programs which can assist with practice. But
I'd like to avoid installing tons of unwanted software.

Can anyone recommend or veto any programs in particular. I'd like something
that works well with JAWS, NVDA or a DOS screen reader -- still have a few
old DOS machines around. Also iOS apps or anything that works well with
Speakup in the Linux console would be fine as well.

I'm new to the list, but not that new to ham radio. Got my advanced a few
years ago. Have mostly operated HF phone, but we have so much electrical
noise at our QTH that I want to move away from using voice. I am in
California so can never receive W1AW.

I've tried copying people on the air, and that sort of works, but sometimes
I hear a character and the brain just freezes. I noticed yesterday that I'm
especially bad at copying digits, something I want to be fast and accurate
with.

And once the brain freezes, it's allover;  By the time I react the sender is
five or six characters ahead. I've tried copying in my head, but find I do
best if I type in to my PC, with speech turned down and just look at the
copy with my Braille display. But I think what I really need is more
concentrated drill.

 --Debee [KF6BKR]