From:
Doug Payne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Jun 2013 23:17:51 -0700
Hi listers,

During this past Field Day I had the chance to use my TS 590S with a
tri-band beam-a much better antenna than the one I used at home. Signals
were generally much stronger, but the potential for interference was
greater, too. Overall, I was very happy with how the rig performed.

I was a little disappointed with the second DSP setting (NR 2) for CW work,
though. I found it wasn't necessary to use at all on strong signals, and it
sounded so watery and "bubbly" that it was harder to copy weaker CW signals
when it was engaged. I found that turning off the AGC and reducing the "RF
gain did help a little, but not very much. I know the DSP level is
adjustable, but I could not find a setting I liked.

I find that the first DSP setting (NR 1) seems to work well on CW and SSB.
It does a fair job of reducing atmospheric noise and makes things easier to
copy overall.

So what are your experiences with DSP 2 on the TS 590s? Do you have a
favorite setting which works well?

I hope my question isn't too general. Take care.

--Doug, AC7T