From:
Steve Forst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 May 2013 18:08:08 -0400
Doug,

The mic gain really isn't used when using the processor.   There are 2
settings that need to be adjusted .   Do a long press on the proc button
and the voice will say "processor in".   Use the multi knob to change
the setting.    Assuming you have one of the pf keys set to speak while
in TX, hit the pf key while speaking into the mic.  It will say "zero
db", "10 db", or "20 db".   Back the multi knob down until you are just
getting 10 db on voice peaks.  Unless you can see the meter, you have to
keep pressing the button while speaking, to get  a good idea of what is
going on.

Then press the mic gain button and it will say"processor out".
Hitting the pf key while speaking into the mic will give you the alc
reading, anything from  "zero" to "over".     You should keep it in the
lower end of the scale.  You can also change  menu 29 to either hard
effect or soft effect on the processor.   If using the "H" setting, you
may  wind up with lower proc in and proc out values than if using the
"S" setting.    The "H" (hard) setting can help punch through, but may
make you sound harsh.

You can listen  to yourself with headphones and using the monitor and
see how it sounds.  The "H" setting may be  raspy.   I think "H" is
default for menu 29

73, Good luck, Steve KW3A