From:
Pat Byrne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 May 2013 19:07:51 -0500
Not driving is one of the big ones, but there are lots of smaller
things that make being blind a pain in the butt.  Years ago I was
engaged to ane nearly married a sighted lady.  So I could get where I
needed to go, eat out easily, get mail and checks done without a lot
of hassle and life was good!  Turns out she wanted to get married,
but not be married.  We figured it out in time.  A short time later a
mutual friend wanted me to meet her blind friend who was single.  Who
would drive, read the menus, write the checks.  No thanks!!  And the
lady told our friend the same things.  But Maria was persistent and
so to get her off our backs we had lunch.  We are married 32 years
ago last Sunday!!  And neither of us drive!!  When the kids were
growing up and still at home, they drove.  Four kids, a lot of
driving years.  Now they are all gone and on their own so the garage
is empty!  They are within a half hour of home so in a pinch we can
always get a ride.  So there are two sides to the coin.
I dipped and loaded several old rigs listening to the power
transformer and also got nailed with 500 volts plus RF on a plate
cap!!  Hurts a lot and doesn't smell very good!
One more and I'm done.  When I looked for jobs the cover letter
always clearly stated that I am blind.  I believe that it is unfair
to drop in on a potential employer with a cane or dog without letting
her/him know up front.  I occasionally still caught them off guard
because they hadn't really read the cover letter.   And it was
awkward - you knew within a couple of minutes if you were wasting
your time or not.
Only radio part was the 500 volts.  Sorry.
Pat, K9JAU