From:
Lloyd Rasmussen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lloyd Rasmussen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Jun 2013 22:03:28 -0400
I like contests because it is a way of competing on terms of equality.  But
you don't have to compete.  For me, CW contests are much more fun than
phone; in a big contest the QRM can be fierce on phone.  With narrow
filters, you can isolate CW signals pretty well.

If you work enough of these contests, some of the callsigns will become
familiar.  I, too, have worked N4PN a bunch of times.  But there are others.
I remembered working SM5CAK, Lars from Sweden, in contests back in the 60s
and 70s when I was K0DDA.  I ran across him on 15 meter phone outside of a
contest a year ago.  He proceeded to tell me about some of the QSOs I had
made with him over the years, both as W3IUU and as K0DDA.  He had all of
these stations he had worked written on file cards for the period before the
mid 1990s.  He had, I think, over 100,000 file cards.

Not everyone is unfriendly on ham radio.  Call CQ sometime and see what
happens.  Also, a week or two ago I heard a net composed of YLs only in the
upper part of 20 meter phone.

I hope you can check into our 7191 roundtable, also.  Not everyone has to
like the same things in ham radio.  It's still a hobby with room for lots of
people.  Some of them are even interesting.
73 -- Lloyd, W3IUU

From: Tom Behler <[log in to unmask]>
,to3 [log in to unmask]
Date: Sunday, June 23, 2013 5:46 pm