From:
John Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 May 2013 20:07:27 -0400
I do HF digital all the time using a signalink USB, and, a program called
MIXW. It takes a little routing of cursers but it's a good program and
covers about all the digital modes. As for packet with the TS-2000, you have
to be careful. For APRs, not too screen reader friendly, that tic works
alright. For packet chatting, any terminal program will do but keep messages
short. For winlink, forget it unless you want to get in to some advanced
stuff, that TNC built in to the TS-2000 just doesn't have any memory for
most packet modes and having played around with it I've succeed in locking
it up with every mode except APRS. The thing is, it was not hard at all and
with winlink it does it every single time so I don't use that TNC. I have a
separate packet setup anyway since I'm involved in the NTS and other things
where it's heavily used, the TNC in the TS-2000 doesn't meet my needs at all
though I have used APRS with friends over and they thought it was cool. With
some of what I'm involved with, I do digital HF all the time, as well as
doing it just for fun and MIXW is workable, about the most workable program
*I've* used. For the interface, the signalink USB is great, I've used a
rigblaster as well and the signalink is my preferred one, it's easier to
find the settings on and if I give you my settings and we have similar
radios, it should work. The rigblasters don't have a built in sound card so
my settings would be useless to you unless you were using the same sound
card, it seems like even changing computers I'm in for a ton of settings
changes where as the signalink, I can put it on any computer with the same
settings and it's still good.