From:
Kelvin Marsh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 May 2013 12:32:18 +0100
Hi All,

I evaluated a Yaesu FT-450 a few months ago, but haven't had chance to write
it up for www.active-elements.org, but I personally don't consider it to be
suitable for a totally blind op.

My fear that by adding a voice chip, the FT-450 might appear to be
accessible, was confirmed.  There is no keypad, and on the model I
evaluated, the voice stopped short of reading the full frequency down to the
10Hz figure.  Without checking my notes and working from memory, I found it
was almost impossible to make all the usual adjustments such as filtering.
Finally, the 450 was not supported by the QSYER keypad, although John hopes
to add support sometime.

It might be a good low cost option for someone with low vision, but I would
personally take it off the list for the totally blind.  There are far better
accessibility options, in my opinion.

BTW, I did not look at the D model, so things may have inproved.

Best wishes, Kelvin Marsh - M0AID

Working to improve accessibility for radio amateurs with disabilities

www.active-elements.org

For accessibility evaluations of amateur equipment and MP3 manuals