From:
"Bob, K8LR" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bob, K8LR
Date:
Mon, 29 Apr 2013 23:06:36 -0400
Hi,

I never could understand the sideband wars that were going on when I first
got my novice and tech license in late 1961.  I wasn't concerned about the
modulation wars until I got my general in mid 1962.  I couldn't afford a ssb
rig so I bought a used dx 100 and used A M until I graduated from high
school.  I talked to everyone whether they were A M or ssb as I could copy
ssb with my old bc348q receiver very well.  I later sold the dx100 and
bought an apache with an sb10 ssb adapter so I could get on ssb cause ssb
had much better talk power  than a m and was much more efficient.  I didn't
operate much while I was in college, but I eventually got my first ssb
transceiver, a Yaesu FT101, the original 101.  I thought I had died and gone
to ham heaven, but A M still has a place in amateur radio.

Ron, your right, A M properly modulated and equalized sounds FANTASTIC, but
I do prefer VOX controlled analog SSB.

I've even tried digital ssb, but that mode sounds very bad and loses all of
the advantages of analog ssb.  Its only claim to fame is its very narrow
bandwidth.

Bob, K8LR, [log in to unmask]