From:
Danny Dyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Jun 2013 18:29:44 -0400
Zach, first, congratulations on your successes so far!  You'll find
that Amateur radio is a Great, hobby, service, sport, friendship
builder, and lots more!
W1AW, on line, on air or however, proved to be one of the best helps I
ever had in upgrading from Technician to General back in 1996, so
start listening on line until you can get a receiver.
In terms of receivers, there are several good portables, which will,
when conditions are average or better, give you good back yard
listening,
that will fill the bill; and depending on your budget you don't have
to spend more than $15 tops:
In terms of dependability, ease of use, permanency of memories, sound,
etc, my first choice would be the Sony ICF-7600GR.  GR, rather than G,
as it has 100, rather than 20, memories, and its' memories are Non_
Volatile/they'll stay "memorized," until you either do a hard reset of
the radio, or purposely erase them;/where as the volatile memories
will be lost if there's no power applied to the radio, either via
batteries or external power, for more than about 3 minutes.

Both the G and GR models ship, new, with soft case, wind up/maybe
20foot antenna, earbuds, manual, and I believe a 6volt, "wall wart,"
type power supply.
New, the Sonys sell for between $100&160 depending on which model and
where you buy.  Used, they'll run for between $75-100.
Amazon dot com, Universal Radio, and lots of other folks sell them
new, and there are several sources for used units.
On the lower price end of the new radios, with which I'm familiar, is
the Kaito KA110./I've owned three of them, use one at the present, and
like it.  It's a little querky in its' operation, but its' 190 non
volatile memories, its sensitivity, and smaller size, make it a pretty
strong contender.  It comes with a soft case, ear buds, rechargeable
batteries, wind up antenna, soft case, wall wart supply, and a manual.
They sell for $65-85$s new,/Amazon dot com, Universal radio and
others, and from under $50 up.
*There are lots of other good choices, especially in terms of used
units, and if you want to talk with me, I'll do my best to describe
some of the other units available.  I've played with, and used,
several of them.  Certainly don't know anywhere near enough about the
overall picture, but have a little experience.
I wish you very well in your searching.  Sincerely, Danny Dyer, Wb4idu.