From:
COLLEEN ROTH <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Jun 2013 16:03:41 -0400
Hello Sylvia,
Unfortunately blind people are often the target of discrimination by Child Protection Agencies.
If you are blind it is assumed that you cannot parent children. Occasionally there are exceptions to this rule.
There have been blind parents who were able to adopt children.
In our area, there had been a few blind people who were able to adopt a child.
Some of these people had a sighted partner.
The NFB Chapter in Toledo, Ohio had been very supportive of families who had adopted children for at least 20 years before I came along.
Having been in the NFB for 16 years before my husband and I adopted I knew what questions would come up and how to prepare for them.
We already had had a Biologicap Child so that probably helped us too.
I do not know why your Foster Mother would have been allowed to be a Foster Mother and not adopt you.
Unfortunately some people do slide through like your Adoptive know.
Enjoy your children every day.
Colleen Roth