From:
John Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 May 2013 17:50:11 -0400
Switching power supplies aren't noisy anymore, I have one in my go kit and
one running my home station. I'm sure some out there are noisy but the
astron ones and samlex aren't, I can say that. Some like mfj ones as well, I
only had one experience with an MFJ one and it was so bad it had a filter in
it and I was tuning the radio with one hand and the filter controls with the
other, but that had a 2 prong plug, was about 15 feet from the antenna and
both combined may or may not have been the problem. I know my samlex
wouldn't do that though I've done a lot worse, maybe they improved on it
though I'd doubt it knowing mfj. The switching power supplies are lighter,
smaller, a lot easier on the electric bill, run cooler, and if they break
you aren't likely to fix them though for the price throw it out and get a
new one. The linear ones, are big, heavy, can often be pushed past rated
amperage for a few seconds, if constantly on do show up on the electric
bill, can be fixed often quite easily if need be and over all last for ever.
I've never killed a switching power supply but the one running my station is
only about 3 years old, it's been running the whole time though because my
packet station runs 24/7 and is on it as is my HF station. I can't complain
about it, you do hear the fan when it comes on but that's not all that often
and I just keep it under the desk way in back, I can't hear it.