Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Tue, 16 Apr 2013 21:47:45 -0500
From:
Ben Liberman <[log in to unmask]>
Sender:
At 2:51 PM -0700 4/16/13, Trish wrote:
>My original email said I have dropped 70 pounds since August eating very
>strict Paleo.  However, my type II diabetes is still out of control with
>readings into the 200's and even 323 the other day. My doctor wants to run
>tests to see if my type 2 has turned to type 1- something that I didn't
>know could happen. My thought is that I still need to drop another 50
>pounds and maybe that is why my glucose readings are so high.  Also, that I
>am not eating enough fat, and that the protein is being converted to
>sugars. And David's response was the above.

I am not a doctor and this is not to be considered to be medical advice. Check with your doctor before trying anything that I might talk about.

That being said, I agree with your doctor that you may need more fat in your diet.  My personal target is 60-80% of calories from fat which, in my case, means that about half of what I eat, by weight, is fat.  Low carb paleo is a high fat diet and not a high protein diet.

When on a Paleo (low carb) diet, if there is enough fat in your diet to meet your caloric needs, your body will break down to fats into ketones and your cells will convert from using glucose for fuel, to using ketones for fuel.... but not so much if your insulin levels are too high.

If you do not have enough fat in your diet then your body will start converting protein to sugar for fuel which will raise your blood glucose level and increase your insulin levels. The higher insulin will prevent free access to stored fats for fuel so your body will break down more protein and create more glucose.

It might just be that you need a few minor adjustments to your dietary ratios of fat/protein/carbs to get past your current sticking point. What do you currently eat on your very strict paleo diet?