From:
Linda Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Linda Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Mar 2013 19:18:47 -0400

Hey folks, I know it's late, but I found a magazine at Whole Foods that I  only noticed a few weeks ago. Simply Gluten Free.  Loved it and bought the March/April copy...

I am going to try two recipes for Passover that I hope will come out.   One is chocolate bowls made by dipping cleaned water balloons (blown up, not water) in melted chocolate chips.  I did find dairy-free chocolate chips for Passover.  The magazine calls for filling it with a kind of dairy mousse or ice cream, but I'm nuking sliced apples and pears with cinnamon and a little sugar until fruit is cooked through and cooled, and putting that in the chocolate bowls.....If the bowls fail, the fruit will end up in soup bowls and no-one will be the wiser.

The other recipe that they actually suggest for Passover is a Leek & Artichoke Spaghetti Squash Kugel.....which is a heck of a lot healthier than the potato kugel (which I'll make anyway).

Maybe your local book store carries Simply Gluten Free. Wegmans? A healthfood store?  The only place I've seen it is at Whole Foods.   One of these days, I'll subscribe, because it's a really good magazine.

And both of these recipes are certainly good all year.

P.S. I've never cooked with leeks, but there are even instructions for how to cut and clean them.

Will let you know how they come out, but if you have the time (I realize that that's an oxymoron for anyone who is preparing for Passover seders), look for Simply Gluten Free Magazine.

There is also an almond meal & quinoa flake mock matzah ball recipe, but I don't know where to get quinoa flakes that are gluten-free, at least not at this late date.  I'll pass.  I hope Streit's is edible.  I've used Paskez Passover Crumbs for years, but I no longer go up to Brooklyn, NY anymore (100 miles), and that's the only place I was able to buy them.  So Streit's, it is.  (with seltzer and whipped egg whites to make them puffy, I hope)

I have no connection to Simply Gluten Free.  I have subscribed to  both Living Without and Gluten-free Living ever since they were "born", and love them both.  It's nice to have another magazine...all recipes (and ads), no celiac articles.

Lin