From:
Casey Marion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Apr 1998 10:38:19 -0500
Qian Jun wrote:

> michael galante
>
> I didn't say the TXPro II w/ onboard had problems but what I'm saying is
> Onboard stuff seems more easier to have conflicts (my friends said so,
> some of 'em are good hardware men).  Also I and my friends don't like
> onboard stuff 'cos they are realllllly hard to upgrade. (eg. couldn't
> add more v/memory for the onboard S3 chip on a Dell machine, because the
> mobo dosen't allow to upgrade v/memory.)  Again, for me, any onboard
> stuff is no good, but not for anyone else.
>
> However if you save $$$ and they meet your needs, go for it.
>
> Jun Qian
> IT student, Canberra, Australia
I just finished the final set-up on my TXProII board.  Everything is
fine.  I'm using 4MB of my RAM for the onboard VGA and it's great.  I
had heard horror stories (after I bought the board) about the video
quality lacking and the sound not working, etc.
The video is great, even at full screen.  And the sound is pretty good
too.
In fact, this was my first build and setting up the mobo was the
easiest  part.  The only problem I had was loading WIN95.  The mobo or
WIN didn't like my Cyrix P200MX CPU.  It kept hanging before it would
fully load, so, I put in a Intel 100, finished loading, and put my Cyrix
chip back in and everything is great!.
I really don't see how you can go wrong w/ the on-board video and
sound.  Unless you are doing CAD or Photoshop, why would you need more
than 4 MB or VRAM?  If you ever wanted to upgrade, it's a matter of
moving a jumper, and plopping in your new card.
Casey Marion