From:
Pat Byrne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 May 2013 16:48:11 -0500
David,
you'll get a lot more on this subject before you're done and it will
all be good info.  The linear supply has been around forever; for a
given amount of power it is pretty heavy, sometimes hums a bit and is
very reliable.  Astron is the name that comes to mind, although all
of the transceiver manufacturers have their brand name on linear and
switching supplies as well.  I'm sure that I have a Kenwood and an
Icom linear supply down in the shack as well as a couple of 35 amp Astrons.
Switching supplies are newer technology and seem to have improved
over the years.  There were horror stories of their losing their
regulation and frying the equipment that they were powering but you
never hear those stories any more.  I have an Icom switcher that will
run their 100 watt gear and a couple of others that all work well and
very quietly.  So R F noise has been no problem for me.  The
switchers are physically very lightweight and I think a person could
safely go that route these days.
I'm sure that there is a lot more technical info on its way.
Hope this helps.