From:
Colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Mar 2013 00:02:07 -0600
if it's a regular milk crate size, you could easily mount a dual band
VHF/UHF radio in there, along with something like an IC718, or 706, or 7000.
Use a single  30 amp power supply like an alinco which is small and very
reliable...and you'd be cooking with gas I think.
The only down side I can really see with this particular set up, is that the
box is more or less completely open on all sides to the elements...that is,
there are large holes if you will, on all the closed sides.  This allows
water, dust, mud, whatever else into the box.  So, if you set it down on the
ground, and the ground is muddy, and you don't happen to have a tarp or
other ground cover immediately available, then the mud will get inside very
easily.
Also, if it's raining, water will come in the top directly onto the
electronics without the suggested disposable rain slicker.
And guys, those disposable rain slickers are very flimsey indeed and if you
bump it, or move it in anyway shape or form if it's wet, that water is going
to pour inside the box.
Now here is what I would do.  Go to a discount auto parts store, or any
place that has some auto parts.  Find some plain regular rubber car floor
matts.  They're always really really cheap, like a few bucks.
Make sure the matts are as big as, or slightly bigger or just bigger than
the inside sides and bottom of the crate.
Yes, at this point, your going to have to nuckle down and probably use a
utility knife.  But secure the rubber matts to the insides of the
crate...easy enough to do by cutting or driving some holes through the
rubber and using zip ties to keep them secure...then use some coax sealer
puddy, or some kind of sealant to seal the holes where you ran the zip ties.
You will have to also seal any holes you put in the rubber for the zip ties
that mount the equipment inside as well.
So, now you have a box that can sit out in the rain, as long as it's not
raining sideways lol, and be relatively safe from water getting into it.
Also, the box can be set on the ground without fear of mud or dirt getting
inside to get into the electronics.
I suggest car floor matts because they're cheap and plentiful and easy to
modify for this use.
You could use any sort of heavy duty rubber matting though.  Allot of
hardware stores, and even craft stores will have rubber sheets that could be
cut to size for this kind of project.
I know this adds some cost, and some additional assembly and time, but I
think one would rather keep equipment in working order out in the field than
have it go dead on you because of water or mud or copious amounts of dust or
dirt building up.

The whole point of having a field kit like this is to be able to deploy it
in almost any situation...and as we all know, most of these major emergency
situations involve the natural elements in one form or another.

Hope these suggestions are some help.  I like the whole idea of the crate
for all the reasons stated.

73
Colin, V A6BKX

approach is by