From:
Ginny Mingolla <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ginny Mingolla <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Mar 2012 18:04:12 -0700

Thank you to all who responded to my question about finding a doctor in New Jersey.  My friend's daughter was tested for celiac by both blood test and biopsy which came out negative.  Below are the responses.
Did you know that Barneget is less than 2 hours away from the office of Dr.
Peter Green, in New York City? Because of his international reputation, he
stays booked up about three months out, so there would be a wait to see him.
But I'm sure you already know that you can't do any better than Peter Green!

If the patient is only 80 pounds,
 they might book an earlier appointment for
her on an emergency basis.
The only gastro I know is in West Orange, north Jersey.
Affiliates in Gastro Enterology
Dr. Schuman
101 Old Short Hills Road
West Orange, NJ (other side of the street is St. Barnabas Hospital, LIvingston, NJ)
973-731-4600
He is a little more willing to work with natural things if you dig them up and won't tell you you are crazy.
This would be probably a 2hr ride.  You go Parkway North to 280 West probably.
He has tolerated the specific carbohydrate diet, various supplements, and now her allergist
 treating
her with nystatin with very good results.  He did her
 colonoscopy with no bad side effects and found
ulcerative colitis.  When I had to change the meds to get rid of lactose, his nurse was very very
accommodating.  They are nice people you can talk to.  We drive 3 hrs to go to him and found him
on the SCD diet website as another patient recommended him. www.breakingtheviciouscycle.info
Maybe there is a doctor in your area.
This might be too far to travel, but I live in Ocean County and went to Dr. Scott Schlachter one of the doctors in the Atlantic Coast Gastroenterology Associates
www.atlanticcoastgastro.com
They have offices in Brick, Neptune, Jackson, and Marlboro (I went to the Brick office).  I really liked him.  I was referred by my Nephrologist (she actually goes to him) and said I would like him.  He did my endoscopy and confirmed that I had CELIAC Disease.  He has helped me a lot and also referred me to a nutritionist (Barbara Halpern in West Long Branch, NJ) who was great, too.  If you need more information, let me know.
I can't answer your question about the gastroenterologist, but I would suggest that this mother have her daughter do the ELISHA testing through Better Control of Life. You can get the test from their website. Just google Better Control of Life. I tested negative for Celiac via bloodtest and my gastro didn't do the biopsy before I went gluten free. I was found to be allergic to rye, oats and barley. I just went gluten free, eliminating wheat too. Then, with ELISHA testing, I found out I was 100 % intolerant to wheat, even after not eating it for almost 3 years! So, IF she doesn't test to be Celiac, she could still be a gluten intolerant non-Celiac. The latest Living Without magazine talks about the difference between wheat allergy, Celiac and gluten intolerant non-Celiac.