From:
Timothy Partridge <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Jan 1995 23:51:08 GMT

> My 2 1/2 year old gluten-intolerant son loves to eat the bubbles from his
> bubble bath in the tub - could he be getting gluten from this?
>                                 -Portia

Gluten is a sticky substance, so I wouldn't think manufactures would want
to put into something that makes bubbles. Whether you want your son to
eat detergent is for you to decide...

I spotted on a bottle of suntan lotion that it had gluten listed as one of
its ingredients. Presumably this is so they could have a 'magic' ingredient
to sell the product - rich in vitamin E! I checked with the UK Coeliac society
and they said that it shouldn't be a problem - many people kneed dough made
with ordinary flour for their families without any problems at all.

It might have been something else in the shampoo that caused the problem.
I've heard that a lot of the fancy ingredients that are advertised have
no effect at all - hair is dead, and the skin doesn't assorb much. (Bear
in mind that if the lotion was intended to deliver something into the
body, it might well have to undergo drug testing. Some countries exclude
cosmetics though.) I'll have a word with a friend of mine who might know more.

   Tim