Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Tue, 5 Jun 2012 10:06:54 -0400
7bit
Sender:
From:
Mary Thorpe <[log in to unmask]>

This disturbing news note was in a health newsletter (Reality Health Check)
in my inbox this morning.  Seeing as we may have antibodies to tTG, this is
worrisome, though the bovine version may be different from H-tTG not to
cause a problem (though early antibody detection tests used guinea pig anti
tTG)

Pink slime makes way for meat glue
Dear Reader,

Just when you thought the "pink slime" controversy was over, us carnivores
now have something else to contend with... "Meat glue."

Officially, it's known as transglutaminase, an enzyme powder that brings
protein closer together. It's used to patch various pieces of meat into a
single steak or some other amalgamated chunk.

Who thinks up this stuff? It sounds more like science fiction than food to
me.

Of course, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration generally recognizes it as
safe. But meat glue may cause allergic reactions. Plus, it could also make
tracing potential food-borne illnesses more difficult, since different parts
of different animals are combined.

The good news is, the USDA requires that transglutaminase must be listed as
an ingredient on labels, in addition to terms like "formed" or "reformed
meat." So this is yet another example where you should read labels VERY
carefully.

So far this year, we've learned about pink slime and meat glue. What else is
out there that we don't know about yet? We've put our safety into the hands
of the FDA. And yet, they continue to collude with food manufacturers,
ignore requests for better labeling, and allow corporations to basically lie
to us.

Of course, there's a very easy way to eliminate the possibility of meat
glue, pink slime, or any other additive or filler the food industry comes up
with. Simply follow . foods in their whole, natural form. No labels
required.