From:
Patrick Tice <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Mar 2013 10:16:29 -0600
I've brought this up to the local guys here in Minnesota, too.  They are
just not aware of the accessibility issue with FLDigi.  As an aside not
directly related to accessibility, I sat through a pretty good presentation
on FLDigi  during a radio club program. I downloaded and installed it, but
found the setup to be a hassle - maybe it was just me, since I hadn't been
on any digital modes for quite some time.  (RTFM, right?)

Still, to compare, I reinstalled Digipan and it was up and running in no
time. I ended up having to do some web searches to figure out the way to get
FLDigi to talk with the radio.   But the point here is that although there
are lots of bells and whistles, whenever something is complicated and
feature-rich there seems to be a steeper learning curve.  In a real
emergency, you would have to be darned sure everyone who is set up with this
system has used it successfully and trained on it over and over or you will
end up with tech support hassles and lots of frustration.  The more
complicated things are, the more brittle they become.  And complication
usually also means bad or no accessibility for some parts of a program
interface.

Our club has started regular digital nets, so maybe I will try to learn more
about digital in that environment.  I really like it when things are
simpler, though...  This morning while writing this post I started FLDigi
and immediately got an error message from the library file, though I was
able to receive on it after intervention with the mouse. (I can see the
screen.)  By comparison I started Digipan and it loaded immediately, and was
receiving automatically.

73 - Pat

Regards,

Patrick Tice