From:
Colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Jul 2013 17:46:00 -0600
guys:
as per my previous post, the UV5R has a very very sensative receiver in it.
I have heard several reports of issues when using a large external antenna
with gain.  The issue is that the receiver is actually being over loaded and
can't deal with the gain from the antenna.  Even with a quarter wave unity
gain style antenna, it's putting allot more signal into that little radio
than a rubber duck does.
So, while it sort of seems like the receiver is not doing what it should,
it's actually more a result of overload than the receiver being deaf or a
problem with the squelch.  Unfortunately, there is no attenuator on the UV5R
to help minimize this issue.
The solution might be to use a rubber duck magnet mount so you can at least
get the antenna outside the vehicle...you can buy these from allot of
places.  it's simply a BNC or SMA style connecter on a small dollar sized
magnet that you can put a regular HT antenna on.

HTH
73
Colin, V A6BKX