From:
Colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Jul 2013 17:39:15 -0600
while this may have been your experience, technically speaking, out of the
15 or so uv5R's that i've been around during testing on, their sensativity
is typically significantly better than an average amateur handheld, and a
whole lot better than your average commercial handheld.
In the order of 0.12 to 0.14UV on average which is several points better
than most kenwood or yaesu type dual or tri-band handhelds which usually
clock in at around 0.16 to 0.21UV..
So, technically, the UV5R has a better receiver than most.
On a recent bunny  hunt, I was using my TH F6A and my friend was using his
UV5R.  Without a word of a ly, he was able to pic up the cw beacon on VHF a
good 500 yards before I was able to pic up the same beacon on the TH F6A.
it was a localize ham fest style bunny hunt with a very low powered
transmitter about half a mile away from the starting point.
I was using the stock kenwood antenna, and he was using a 2 dollar chinese
after market shorty style flexible duck antenna.
Perhaps this is simply a random thing, but I've got enough handhelds and
different antennas around here to have a pretty good idea of how well the
uv5R performs, and it out performs most of what I've got on simple receiver
sensativity.

that, on top of the very low cost, make it an extremely good value for the
dollar.

73
Colin, V A6BKX