Date:
Mon, 3 Jun 2013 11:38:20 -0400
It isn't that big of a deal, in my opinion.

Parents assign children different tasks around the home all the time.  It
might be doing the dishes, taking out the garbage, doing some meal prep if
they're older.

In our house, instead of doing dishes, they would help us with other things
like sorting canned goods when we got home from shopping, filling out a
form, reading handwritten things, sorting whites from colored clothes.  All
we did was give our two kids a reasonable equivalent number of chores which
just happened to be different than their friends had.

I think the only affect it had on them is that they are a lot better going
around the house when it is dark.  My new daughter-in-law is always
commenting on how he walks around their apartment at night without lights.
It just comes naturally to him.

Steve