From:
Harvey Heagy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 May 2013 10:03:30 -0500
I agree with you, Buddy.  While it certainly is not a bad thing to have
access to sight, one must consider do they want a partner or a man or maid
servant?  After all, we are asking someone to accept our blindness,
shouldn't we as blind people ourselves do the same thing for another blind
person?  Those blind people who want a partner just for sight's sake, or use
their sighted children for servants, guide dogs Etc. usually end up
regretting it.  What makes or breaks a relationship to me is, do you love
that person for what they are, and is that person the one you want to spend
the rest of your life with in good times and bad?

I am no stranger to that balance of power situation you spoke of.  I was
briefly engaged to a sighted woman in 1976, but it was clear early on that
she intended to use her sight to manipulate me which I wouldn't have.  Her
and her father's attitude basically was, "we don't care if you marry her,
but we're calling the shots."  You sign your name to a blank piece of paper
and we'll fill in the details.  No way, not for me.
Harvey