From:
Russ Kiehne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 May 2013 07:49:08 -0700
Here's the info from Apple on what the itouch is:
Apple has unveiled its next-generation iPod touch
. It looks like an  iPhone 5
, with the same 4 inch, 1136 x 640 pixel display. But the 5th-generation
iPod touch
doesn’t make phone calls, it’s even thinner than the new iPhone, and it has
a last-generation processor.
that’s because the new iPod touch has a faster processor, bigger screen, and
better camera, among other improvements.
The 5th-gen iPod touch measures 6.1mm (0.24 inches) thick and weighs 88
grams (3.1 ounces). It’s the thinnest and lightest iPod touch to date, even
though it has the largest screen yet.
It’s powered by an Apple A5 processor — much like the iPad 2 or the iPhone
4. That’s a step up from the 4th generation iPod touch, which has an A4
chip,
but it falls short of the new A6 processor in the iPhone 5. Apple says that
chip offers twice the graphics and CPU performance of an A5.
Apple says the iPod touch is the “world’s most popular” media player, and
also portable gaming device — and the new dual core chip should help boost
gaming performance.
The new iPod touch has a 5MP camera, LED flash and autofocus — features
which weren’t available on the fixed-focus camera on the last iPod touch.
Apple is also included a panorama mode and support for 1080p HD video
recording with the rear camera.
Like the iPhone 5, there’s a new FaceTime HD front-facing camera which can
shoot 720p video, and the company has added an optional wrist strap which
comes
in handy if you plan to use the iPod touch as a point-and-shoot camera, or
hand
it to your kid for mobile gaming.
Apple is adding Bluetooth 4.0 to the iPod touch, along with dual-channel
802.11a/b/g/n WiFi.
The iPod touch also now gets AirPlay mirroring support, letting you pair the
device with an Apple TV to stream games, videos, or other content to a TV.
And for the first time, you can now use Siri voice recognition on the iPod
touch.
Apple iPod touch 5th gen
Apple will offer 5 color options: yellow, pink, blue, black, and white.
The 5th-gen iPod touch goes up for pre-order this week and should ship in
October.
A 32GB model costs $299, while a 64GB model runs $399.
Apple will also offer a cheaper option: The 4th-gen iPod touch. The company
is keeping the older models alive, but it’s phasing out the 8GB version.