From:
John Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 May 2013 17:10:59 -0400
A note to TS-2000 owners, if your radio was manufactured between early 2008 and early 2010, I have the serial number range here somewhere, you may be interested in my story. As most know, I'm extremely active with the NTS, MARS, rag chewing, what ever so my radio gets a workout. I discovered last week, later in the day, a horrible crackling sound at times peaking to +20-=40. I decided to track it down, and found nothing. That's right, nothing. On further investigation, I discovered, the preamp made no difference, disconnecting the antenna made no difference, this was all HF bands, I don't know about VHF or UHF since when I moved my station I never put anything up for those bands, I never thought to check it until the radio was out of line. I did a little research and found out some people are paying good money to have this problem fixed, then, I contacted Clif at Avvid. As usual, he was well beyond helpful when he told me, it's not too well known but even if your radio is out of warranty, Kenwood will fix it for free so send it to them, letting them know the problem and the serial number, I contacted them and that is indeed correct. It will be a couple weeks before I can afford to send it, shipping will be a little bit but anyway, if anyone has the same problem or has a mysterious noise and got your radio in 2008 or 2009, maybe even 2010, or if that problem may come up soon, keep this in mind, apparently one of the filters goes bad and does this in that run of radios. I'm glad I have my trusty dusty TS-450 for a backup. It's not the best but it will keep me on the air.