From:
Colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Apr 2013 18:00:16 -0600
hey tom, you did say it's a home brew power supply right?
could the filter caps be going bad in the power supply?  When they begin to
go bad you do get hum on the tx signal because there is ac coming through to
the radio.
Do you have another supply you could try?
Also, turn on the tx monitor on the ts2000 to hear if the hum is coming
through the audio path.
It's function plus the RF power key to adjust the tx monitor level.  Use the
multi-select knob to adjust the level etc.
I used a home brew supply for several years and had to replace the big main
filter cap once for precisely the same problem.
The hum will tend to get worse as you increase the load on the supply, that
is, when you increase current draw with higher power.  However, if the cap
has really gone south, even 5W output will have a hum.
I presume you have tested for the hum on all bands including VHF/UHF and on
FM as well?
I'm not posative the hum will be heard via the tx monitor if it's a power
supply hum though.  Also, you won't hear hum on the receive if the cap is
still healthy enough to supply enough smoothing capacity for the low current
draw on receive.
A further question on the home brew supply, does it utilize a 3 pin power
plug, or a two?  if a two pin, try flipping it around to see if the hum and
shock go away.

We'll narrow this down yet.

73
Colin, V A6BKX