From:
Kelvin Marsh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Apr 2013 21:06:48 +0100
Hi Don,

Thought I'd bring this back to the list, as others might benefit and
contribute <smile>.  I think your idea of having between 500W and 1KW is
good.

There are several solid state amps with auto tuners built in, but I'm not
sure what aural feedback they would give you.  Personally, I use the MFJ 998
auto ATU, and I'm very impressed with it.  It can handle 1.5KW, and has
aural tones to let you know the approximate match, and beeps will guide you
through using the memory banks.  The menu is not accessible, but since the
initial setup, I've never needed to use it.  One nice feature is that while
tuning it opens the PTT line.  If your antenna goes bad during transmission,
the AATU will start hunting and the amp will be disconnected!  The only
problem is the cost...

I use all Icom gear, and the PW1 amp automatically changes band, using CIV
data from the radio.  I understand that several amps can do this, like the
Yaesu Quadra, and the Expert 1, but the latter may need a PC to manage the
band changes.

From what I've seen, the Ameritron amps, like the ASL-600, look to be very
good value, and I guess the lack of an internal tuner is an advantage, on
the basis that there's no point paying for something you might not use
<smile>.

***
Hi Don,

Your amplifier query is interesting, and a question  a lot of blind ops are
asking at the moment!  I guess you could help by saying what power output
you want, your budget, if you will already have a power supply, which bands
it should cover, and the type of antenna you have.  It would also be useful
to know if you have an accessible power meter, a QRO ATU and whether you
want auto band changing.

As Bob has said, although there is no need to manually juggle the tuning
controls with a solid state amp, it needs either a resonant antenna or a
capable ATU.

Although the protection circuits should prevent any amp damage, a mismatch
is likely to either trip the amp or cause it to sharply fold back the power.

I use a fully automatic 1KW solid state amp with internal auto ATU here, but
I did not get enough aural feedback for my satisfaction <smile>.  I prefer
to use an external auto ATU that I can use with confidence, and hear exactly
what is going on.  Especially useful at RF power that can cause serious
injury or expensive damage!

Best wishes, Kelvin Marsh - M0AID

Working to improve accessibility for radio amateurs with disabilities

www.active-elements.org

For accessibility evaluations of amateur equipment and MP3 manuals