From:
Kelvin Marsh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Feb 2013 13:25:47 -0000
Hi Michael,

This all sounds like an interesting project, and if you don't have reliable
assistance, I'm a great believer in doing it yourself.  I find if I pay for
building and erection help, I usually get exactly what I want, and if the
rest is simple, I try and do it myself <smile>.

Mind you, having trusted and knowledgeable friends makes everything much
easier!  I see from your message you hope to work DX on the lower bands.  I
would therefore recommend an excellent book by John Devoldere, ON4UN, called
Low Band DXing.  I think it's published by ARRL, but there is a CD that
comes with the book with the chapters in PDF.  I have a copy of the book and
the PDFs, and I believe you may even be able to find the PDF chapters on the
web.

Chapter 9 deals with Verticals, and is a must read.  It dispels many myths,
and explains why you need radials etc.  Good luck in getting a copy.

BTW, the PDF files can throw up some formatting issues.  If anyone knows of
a recording, I would be very interested, as there are many pictures and
diagrams.

Best wishes, Kelvin Marsh - M0AID

Working to improve accessibility for radio amateurs with disabilities

www.active-elements.org

For accessibility evaluations of amateur equipment and MP3 manuals