From:
Colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Sep 2012 17:42:02 -0600
Sorry if I missed the response to this, but Jim asked about using
transverters with the 480 I think.
First of all I'll say I have never used a transverter with any of my
equipment.
However, I have, as with many things, researched and checked into pricing
etc.
From what I found out, and this was probably maybe two years ago, to buy a
transverter would cost almost as much, for only one band, as buying say an
IC706 mark II G.
Granted, with a transverter, you get all the advantages of your good quality
HF receiver which may be, arguably, better than the VHF or UHF SSB receiver
on an Icom IC706 mark II G.
I suspect transverters have gone the way of the dodo since the days when two
meter SSB rigs were very few and far between.
For instance, there was a 2M transverter made for the yaesu FT101 station,
along with a 6M transverter, and perhaps there was a UHF unit as well, but
I've never come across one.
And we all know how old the 101 in it's various forms is.
That said, if I'm not mistaken, elecraft makes 2M transverters in either kit
form, or you can have it assembled for a bit extra.
If it were me, I'd pick up a gently used icom ic706 mark II G on ebay and
have the advantage of not only SSB on VHF and UHF, but also a fully featured
HF radio as well.
They can be had for 400 bucks or so.
I have seen some devices sold on the internet that claim you can use an SSB
CB radio with a particular transverter to talk on 2M SSB and AM.
Seems a little shady.
Though I think I also remember a transverter that was made so you could turn
your 10M mobile, like the realistic HX100 or RCI2950 or similar so called 10
meter radios into an all mode 2M radio...I.E through a transverter.
Like I said, by that time, you could pick up a nice 706 mark II G on ebay
and have a fully featured all mode, all band radio.

73
Colin, V A6BKX