From:
Colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Aug 2012 14:52:49 -0600
can you describe the connection point where the latter line feeds into the
two wires?  IE, how far apart are the two sides, and could there possibly be
a short at that point?
Seeing as your manager, obviously a great guy in my mind already, isn't a
radio guy, could he have somehow set the connections against some metal and
shorted the end of the latter line where it connects to the wire elements?
There should absolutely be no continuity between the center and the shield
on a dipole or balanced type antenna.
The only time you should get continuity on an antenna is if it's using some
kind of matching circuit that has less resistance than the resistance
tolerance of your continuity checker...which is usually 30 or 40 ohms.
you'll see continuity on the connecter with 5/8's wave antennas due to the
matching network...
But any dipole type antenna or balanced antenna should be wide open.
So, if you take the antenna down and bring it home, and everything shows as
it should, that is open and no continuity between the center and shield,
then you know it was something about the install that was causing the
problem.
Ok, first try, see if you and this helpful dude can come up with something
else or some other configuration.
73
Colin, V A6BKX