From:
Patrick Tice <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Aug 2012 19:26:48 -0500
Hi, list!

What we recommend to remote base users is that they identify their
transmissions with their own callsigns but include the RB call for
clarification, so it would sound like this: "This is WA0TDA through the
W0EQO remote base".  In the course of a back and forth QSO, I generally just
use my own call, then every 10 minutes and when signing off I use both.  It
is also a courtesy to allow the other operators to know that the contact is
through a remote so that they know the control operator's QTH is not the
location of the actual transmitter.

Early on in the remote base operations we had a New Zealand operator check
into a regional 75m net up here in Minnesota.  This created quite a surprise
among the net regulars, especially since the control op also had a USA
license and was from Minnesota himself so he sounded like the rest of us up
here, you betcha!

Right now we are beta testing the TS590S and controlling it with the native
ARCP-590 software from Kenwood.  It's pretty easy to set up, since the
single USB cable can port both the radio data and the audio data.  At first
I was disappointed that the VGS1 speech announcements didn't also come down
the USB, but then I discovered that enabling the beeps setting via USB also
enabled the speech announcements - Woohoo!  One disappointing deficiency in
the software is that there seems to be no simple way to alert other control
operators if the station is already in use. I'll write up our findings when
we have enough data to sound reasonably intelligent.

Cheers and DX,

73 - Pat

Regards,

Patrick Tice