From:
Ron Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Aug 2012 16:03:34 -0400
Hi Tom,
You put the tuning aid in line between the antenna tuner and the radio. When you  turn it on, you'll hear white noise in the receiver, the Palomar unit and, I think, the MFJ units pulse the noise to make it more distinct. You begin adjusting your manual tuner listening for a null inthe white noise. It's usually a deep dip inthe noise. When you've made the white noise disappear as much as possible, you're as close to 50  ohms as your tuner will get with the currently connected antena. If you practice with a 50 ohm dummy load, or a known resonant antenna, you'll get very good at hearing the nice, deep null that indicates a good match instead ofthe  shallower one that indicates a greater miss-match.

73

Ron Miller