From:
colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Jul 2012 17:37:27 -0600
also tough to tune an antenna if it's strung in such a way that it makes
getting to it to tune very difficult.
Mine has one end anchored to a tree above the roof on the side of the
house...the other end is anchored to a long rope that is anchored to a
garage roof...the feed point can be dropped, but it probably wouldn't come
down far because one leg of the antenna passes over some utility
(non-electric service) wires that would snag it.
So to tune, I would pretty much have to bring the entire antenna down, at
which point it wouldn't show the proper SWR because it would no longer be in
the normal operating position.
I also don't have a latter to get up on the roof and tune at least one end.
I suspect my antenna doesn't show a super low SWR because of it's
configuration, so there is likely not much I can do about it anyway.
I'd like a 1 to 1 swr on at least some of the bands, but that isn't going to
happen so I have to use the internal tuner.
I agree though, if you can get the antenna tuned for resonance on the band
you want, it's much better than having a 3 or 4 to one match and using a
tuner.
If i could find a 50 foot long wire antenna that actually worked on 80M and
the other major bands, I'd stick it up...but to date, nothing I've heard or
used or read about actually works worth crap on 80 and 40 being that short.

73
Colin, V A6BKX