Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Sun, 28 Jul 2013 09:27:52 +0100
7bit
From:
David W Wood <[log in to unmask]>
What is your beam?
Also is gain and front to back ratio?

ATB

David W Wood

-----Original Message-----
From: For blind ham radio operators [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
On Behalf Of Ian Westerland
Sent: Sunday, July 28, 2013 9:16 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Doublet antenna

Hi fellow hams and other interested list members.
Some time ago there was some discussion on the list about doublet
aerials and I promised to keep you updated with the progress and
operation of the one I was constructing.  Well, it's up and working
really well.  Just needs some optimizing.

The aerial is 130 feet total length fed in the centre.  i would have
liked it slightly longer but the 130 feet is very satisfactory.  It
is fed with 300 Ohm feed but not ladder line and that comes down to a
1:1 balon, a short length [about 3 feet] of RG-213 coax, into an LDG
auto tuner and to my TS-590S.

It loads on all bands from 80 to 10 meters but is slightly hard to
tune on 10 meters.  This can be fixed with slightly longer feed
line.  About a foot should do the trick.

I have worked into Europe, Asia and the States with it on 20 meters,
40 meters and 15 meters with reasonable reports that are about 3 S
points down on my 4 element beam so the results are really very good.

Making the aerial and feed system randum length also works and I will
make another one for portable use.
At present it is in the inverted V configuration with the centre at
40 feet [12 meters] from ground but I am going to raise the legs to a
more horizontal polarization due to exessive noise.

I hope this helps those who were thinking about making this very
effective aerial.

Ian, VK3vin