Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Fri, 29 Mar 2013 23:18:33 -0400
7bit
Sender:
From:
Lloyd Rasmussen <[log in to unmask]>
My brother Paul, W6PR, after chatting with some of you last Sunday, reports
that the April 2013 QST, on pages 39 through 42, has a description of an
updated auditory gimick circuit by Bill Gerrey, WA6NPC, of Smith-Kettlewell
Institute fame.  I don't know what's different about this circuit, but we'll
find out.  The entire run of the Smith-Kettlewell Technical File from 1980
to 1998 can be found at  http://www.ski.org/Rehab/sktf/techfiles.html .

For anyone who doesn't know, the auditory gimick is a voltage-controlled
audio oscillator; the pitch is varied by the voltage at the input terminals.
The first design I know of was the "transistorized auditory gimick" designed
and described by Robert Gunderson, W2JIO, in a 1956 issue of the Braille
Technical Press magazine, which he published.  Many, many versions of this
circuit have appeared since that time, in the pages of the BTP and sometimes
in print ham magazines.  This analog circuit was commonly used to tune up
transmitters, by connecting it across meter movements or other low-voltage
sources.  A modern incarnation, if he is still making them, is inside the
ATOM, described on Mike Keithley's web page www.blind-ham-products.com .

A V C O function has been simulated digitally in devices such as the late,
lamented LDG talking wattmeters, as well as other devices.  I use this
function in a TW-1 for tuning up my 42-year-old FL2500 amplifier, insuring
that the transceiver doesn't drive it excessively.

Lloyd Rasmussen, Kensington, MD
http://lras.home.sprynet.com