From:
Ron Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Oct 2012 23:08:30 -0400
Hi all,
that's a great story and very plausible. My only hf rig is my icom ic-703+.
I worked a lot of dx with it over the last 7 years, the majority of it
during the low part of the sunspot cycle. Some of my best contacts were on
17, 15 and 10 meters between 2007 and 2009, the cellar of our sunspot cycle.
I worked South Africa on 15 meter ssb, New Zealand and Australia several
times on 15 ssb, Europeans on 17, many places on 20 and stateside and into
central and south America on 10, not to mention some great dx on 6 meter ssb
in the summertime and 10 fm in the summer as well.

All of this and more on my qrp rig.

73 all,

Ron Miller
N6MSA
Dunedin, Fl.
USA
SKYPE: arjay1
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2012 13:06:05 -0700 (PDT)
From: Jim kel (...Email address omitted by Danny, for obvious reasons)
Subject: Re: [QRP-L] BIG contest weekend coming up!...
This one is certainly up my alley! I have been chronicling my QRP SSB =
adventures for the past 2(?)or so years. My adventures via this list has =
been met with about a 50/50 approval-scoff rating.?

My venture into the Phone side of the QRP game started completely by =
accident. It was during the 2010? Lighthouse weekend event. I noticed = that
the Coney Island Lighthouse was participating and for purely = nostalgic
reasons I wanted to try to work them but found they were not = going to be
operating any CW during the event, Phone only...Digging out = the 817's mic
I prepared myself. I have always had a case of mic shyness = hence my only,
to that point, mode was CW. Long story short, I never = heard the Coney
Island station but did hear a Lighthouse in Denmark = calling, chuckling to
myself, figuring `twas impossible...I called = them...Could have knocked me
over with a feather when they responded = back with a 58 rpt! I spent the
rest of the day working every Lighthouse = and non Lighthouse European
station I heard!

Amazed I made the decision to put the key down for a bit and give SSB = QRP
DXCC a real go...exactly 1 year and 2 weeks later having worked = VK2DAG for
number 100, My quest had been completed! Confirmations? well = that took
another year and a half for the last one to come in!

Present day...Just changed my call on 9/28/2012 from WA2OQJ to K2MIJ, = much
easier to send CW wise and....the real reason....if you were to = write the
letters in reverse order it is JIM2K <---Hey! thats me!...I = know, I
know...lame but jeez thats why they call `em vanity calls...

Anyway, I have started all over again and if anyone still might be =
thinking SSB QRP is not viable or possible or thinks that yes it might =
work but only as the exception rather than the norm take a look at my =
stats from the day of my new call issue... http://qrzcq.com/log/K2MIJ =
?This is my log since the day of my call change to today and here is a =
screenshot of my entities worked since the 28th of September all 57 (58, =
just worked 6Y5/K1XM while writing this)were worked from my Yaesu = FT-817nd
@ 5 Watts SSB! actually I think it is 55 - 3 of them I believe = were CW
contacts...?

http://imageshack.us/a/img208/1021/mijdxcclist1.jpg

I will operate in the contest as I have each year. I do not operate to = be
competitive, I am always just on the prowl for new "ones" I do not = work
very hard and always set out to make my goal of 100 in the log and = have
met or surpassed the mark each time out.

I have seen Fairies and Princesses mentioned in previous posts to this =
thread...I have not seen any nor do I need any, I only need good QRP =
skills. Timing, persistence and listening,listening,listening. Of course =
operating as if you were as equal to being heard as anyone else helps = too!

As far as a lot of aluminum goes, well I am sure it helps but to this =
point ?haven't found a need for it, I have worked everything on a =
horizontal delta loop made from some old scrap 26 gauge 100pair telco =
?wire I yanked out during a commercial building remodel many moons ago, =
The delta loop is all of 10 feet above the ground. Raised it from 6 feet =
to 10 feet so I didn't decapitate myself while mowing the lawn!

Still a couple of days left before contest day. I hope to work a few =
others and maybe bring the total needed for a second DXCC as K2MIJ to =
actually being do-able via the contest...DXCC in less than a month, now =
that would really be a kick!

If you choose to give it a try, good luck and if not, good luck =
also...It's all good!

72/73, Jim - K2MIJ
(Formerly WA2OQJ)"

-----