From:
Mary Boucher <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mary Boucher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 May 2013 14:58:56 -0400

I have a question regarding gluten free dining protocol.  I have celiac &
must eat gluten free.  I have eaten at this restaurant for several years,
as they have had a gluten free menu.

However, last week it was rather scary.  I conveyed to the waitress that I
had celiac, could not have any gluten contact my food during preparation in
the kitchen, needed a clean food prep area, separate utensils, etc. went
through it all.  She said she understood, has handled this before, would be
sure to convey the necessary information to the kitchen food prep staff.

I ordered a salad - no croutons, dressing on the side and prime rib, which
I was assured was gluten free.  When the salad came out the "Manager"
brought it to my table.  He said "salad no croutons".  However, just before
delivering it, he had stuck 2 crusts of bread onto the side of the salad.
When I got him back to my table, explained the problem, he said, "No one
told me that and  I don't know how you people can do that.  My daughter
tries to eat that way too -  It's just not right!"  I attempted to explain
that it wasn't a choice for me, but a necessity since I had celiac.  He
said, "Yeah, my daughter thinks she has to do it, too! - it's not right".

So, I then talked to my waitress again, as I was anxious about my food
preparation and she said, "I told theml it needed to be gluten free - Dan,
the manager, just doesn't understand gluten free"..

So, if the restaurant manager does not know about gluten free food
preparation,  would you continue to eat there?  I did not develop any
symptoms from the food, but am wondering if I'm "playing with fire", so to
speak.

Mary in Michigan